The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
Ursa Major’s teams move fast and do a lot with little. We are looking for a skilled, fast-learning individual who will support our design efforts. This role will be part of the technical organization, responsible for clean sheet designs of a variety of propulsion hardware. Candidates will be expected to have ownership from the initial concept phase to a production-ready design and may need to support multiple programs simultaneously.
Please note: we are only accepting Spring 2022 graduates with a start date after June 2022.
- Clean sheet design of combustion devices, igniters and fluid & mechanical systems.
- Design modifications of existing components and prototypes to increase performance, improve manufacturability or resolve limitations
- Collaborate with team members to write, review, and update work instructions for the assembly of components as well as establish appropriate acceptance and qualification tests
- Assembly and testing of first article prototypes
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 2+ years of relevant mechanical design experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer aided design and drafting
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5
- Working knowledge of and hands-on experience with fluid, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Strong understanding of industry standards and requirements
- Desire to take ownership and help wherever needed on the team
- Demonstrated proficiency with fundamental manual or CNC machining equipment and processes (milling, turning)
- Demonstrated proficiency with basic principles of design for additive manufacturing
- Experience leading design reviews to communicate design decisions and trades. Well versed in documenting those reviews
- Coordination with analysis and lead engineers to quickly mature designs
- Experience with structural and thermal analysis using Ansys FEA software
- 1+ years of PTC Creo or Siemens NX CAD programs and Windchill PLM software
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $80,000 - $120,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
No outside recruiters please.
URSA'S COVID POLICY:
As a U.S. government contractor, Ursa Major is subject to President Biden’s September 9, 2021 Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors requiring federal contractors to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19. However, recently a federal judge in Georgia issued a nationwide preliminary injunction that prohibits the government from enforcing the federal contractor vaccine mandate. The order covers all contractors and subcontractors in the United States and its territories, and will be in place until further notice. Additionally, while Ursa Major is still subject to OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard given our 100+ employees, its implementation and enforcement is currently suspended pending future developments in the litigation.
Given these updates, we are suspending the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy until further notice. With this is mind, Ursa Major fully intends to comply immediately with changes to any COVID-19 mandates.