The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
Ursa Major’s teams move fast and do a lot with little. We are looking for a skilled, fast-learning individual who will support our design efforts. This role will be part of the technical organization, responsible for clean sheet designs of a variety of propulsion hardware. All candidates will be expected to have ownership from the initial concept phase to a production-ready design and may need to support multiple programs simultaneously.
- Clean sheet design of combustion devices, ignitors, and fluid & mechanical systems.
- Design modifications of existing components and prototypes to increase performance, improve manufacturability or resolve limitations.
- Collaborate with team members to write, review, and update work instructions for the assembly of components as well as establish appropriate acceptance and qualification tests.
- Assembly and testing of first article prototypes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 2+ years of relevant mechanical design experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer-aided design and drafting
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5
- Working knowledge of and hands-on experience with fluid, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Strong understanding of industry standards and requirements
- Desire to take ownership and help wherever needed on the team
- Experience with the design and/or analysis of combustion device hardware (injectors, chambers, nozzles)
- Demonstrated proficiency with fundamental manual or CNC machining equipment and processes (milling, turning, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency with basic principles of design for additive manufacturing
- Experience leading design reviews to communicate design decisions and trades. Well-versed in documenting those reviews
- Coordination with analysis and lead engineers to quickly mature designs
- Experience with structural and thermal analysis using ANSYS FEA software
- Experience with CFD analysis using commercially available software
- 1+ years of PTC Creo or Siemens NX CAD programs and Windchill PLM software
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D, and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport, and Pet Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $85,000 - $135,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The salary range for this role is intentionally wide as we are evaluating individuals based on their unique experience and abilities to fit our needs. Most importantly, we are excited to meet you, and see if you are a great fit for our team. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
No outside recruiters, please.