The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
The Avionics Design Manager is a key role that will manage and develop the team responsible for avionics embedded development across all Ursa products. The team is responsible for engine instrumentation, harnessing, controllers (board layout, design and enclosures), embedded and User Interface software. The team also maintains and operates the component level HIL (Hardware in the Loop) testing facility and standards, as well as component-level ATP processes for both development and production. The team also assists other areas of the business with expertise related to electronic hardware or internally developed embedded software.
As a Manager, you will lead a team of engineers in designing, developing, testing, and operating all in-house developed avionics components for our launch vehicles and spacecraft.
- Design and develop various avionics components and assemblies
- Manage all design, development, and qualification tasks for these components to meet delivery schedules
- Ensure design processes are met while supporting the business needs for speed and agility
- Coordinate with avionics production teams to ensure designs are producible and meet cost and schedule requirements
- Manage and coordinate the team’s efforts to complete project tasks
- Support vehicle testing and launch day activities as required
- Bachelor of Science in electrical or software engineering or equivalent
- 7 years of engineering experience designing/developing embedded electronics system and assemblies
- 3 years leading teams of engineers in design/development efforts
- Experience with launch vehicle avionics component design and analysis
- Experience with project management and small team leadership
- Hands on experience with integration of electronics in airborne vehicles
- Understanding of basic subsystems of a launch vehicle and how avionics integrate within the vehicle
- Experience with environmental analysis and test including thermal cycle, thermal vacuum, shock, and vibration
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport and Pet Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $130,000 - $190,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
No outside recruiters, please.