The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
Ursa Major’s team moves fast and does a lot with little. A GSE Design Engineer is responsible for selection and design of the systems needed to test everything from an individual rocket component up to a full rocket engine. Components being tested range from valves, regulators, actuators, pumps, igniters, and transducers. Additionally, designers are responsible for the layout of test facilities to ensure they are safe and compliant with all local, state, and federal requirements. We expect these engineers to be self-starters and good at designing tests systems. Hands-on experience is required.
- Design fluid and mechanical test systems to support component checkouts and rocket engine testing - fluids include kerosene, oxygen, nitrogen, helium, and hydrogen with pressure ranges from 100 to 6,000 psi
- Perform component and instrumentation selection
- Generation of piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID)
- Perform fluid flow analysis with hand calculation, spreadsheet, and computer codes
- Generate facility layouts
- Perform piping flexibility analysis
- Perform structural analysis using FEA
- Generation of CAD models and drawings
- BS degree or higher in an engineering field (Mechanical or Chemical Engineer preferred)
- 2+ years of experience with piping, facility, or test system design
- Strong GD&T and CAD experience (Solid Works, PTC Creo, Siemens NX)
- Familiarity with piping design software (Caesar II, Bentley AutoPipe, CaePipe)
- Hands-on experience with ASME piping codes
- Able to communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Experience working with multiple engineering disciplines and technicians
- Familiar with National Fire Protection Association, International Fire Code, International Building Code, and International Machine Code
- Experience in design of electro-mechanical actuators
- Familiarity with FEA software (ANSYS preferred)
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $75,000 - $95,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
No outside recruiters please.
URSA'S COVID POLICY:
As a U.S. government contractor, Ursa Major is subject to President Biden’s September 9, 2021 Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors requiring federal contractors to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19. However, recently a federal judge in Georgia issued a nationwide preliminary injunction that prohibits the government from enforcing the federal contractor vaccine mandate. The order covers all contractors and subcontractors in the United States and its territories, and will be in place until further notice. Additionally, while Ursa Major is still subject to OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard given our 100+ employees, its implementation and enforcement is currently suspended pending future developments in the litigation.
Given these updates, we are suspending the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy until further notice. With this is mind, Ursa Major fully intends to comply immediately with changes to any COVID-19 mandates.