The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
A Senior Embedded Software Engineer at Ursa Major is expected to own and inform major system decisions at every phase of the design life cycle for our products. You will work within a small team to ensure that our flight software pushes the limits of what is possible with respect to reliability and functionality to enable our engines to be the best in class. You will need to be driven, detail-oriented, and focused to support efforts to continually improve our engines and respond to quick development programs while guaranteeing the high performance and maintainability of our products.
- Develop, test, and deploy embedded software for rocket engines in all stages of development and production
- Communicate with members of the Ursa Major team from many disciplines to provide insight on reliability, scope, and trade-offs of new and existing software features
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline
- 5+ years developing C/C++ applications for embedded systems, including ARM, SoC, and FPGA softcore processors
- Experience working with RTOS and/or Linux kernel code
- Must have experience developing, testing, and deploying safety-critical, high reliability, and fault tolerant flight software
- Experience with hardware-level software and firmware development (timers, interrupts, communication protocols, ADCs, etc)
- Experience working with electronic hardware, reading schematics, and using hardware debugging equipment
- Experience maintaining embedded software in a production environment
- Experience in defining software development strategies and plans
- Ability to work effectively in teams or individually
- Ability to be self-directed and balance several tasks at one time
- DO-178 or NASA safety software design and verification experience
- Experience working with automated build and test
- Experience developing tests for hardware in the loop (HIL) environment
- Working knowledge of HDL and FPGA operation
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $125,000 - $190,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The salary range for this role is intentionally wide as we are evaluating individuals based on their unique experience and abilities to fit our needs. Most importantly, we are excited to meet you, and see if you are a great fit for our team. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
No outside recruiters, please.