The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
The Vehicle Operations Engineer is central to customer mission success. Delivery of the engine is but one step along the path to flight. The Vehicle Operations Engineer picks up the baton when the engine is shipped to the customer, and together with the Mission Program Manager, helps our customers across the finish line. You will be the engine technical expert on-site to assist customers with integration, operation, and testing of Ursa engines. Typical assignments include: authoring and executing integrated test procedures, engine inspections, hardware troubleshooting, briefing technical issues to the customer, multi-week test and flight campaigns on-location.
- Become a subject matter expert on vehicle propulsion systems and Ursa engines
- Present and provide technical review in customer meetings and integration reviews
- Travel to customer sites and lead engine integration, perform checkouts, and assist in test and flight campaigns.
- Review data from engine tests to support fast-paced customer test campaigns.
- Troubleshoot engine and component hardware issues in the field, develop solutions with the Ursa team and customer, and lead implementation.
- Identify and implement engine improvements focused on customer needs and end-use
- B.S. in Engineering
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Technical expertise in vehicle stage systems and propulsion fluid systems
- Passion for developing customer relationships and ensuring mission success
- Attention to detail, curiosity, and relentless in resolving problems
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, startup environment
- Willing to spend 50% of the year on travel for multi-week test and flight campaigns
- Master's degree in Engineering
- Strong understanding of aerospace industry standards and requirements
- Technical expertise in liquid rocket engine manufacturing, integration, or test
- Hands-on experience with aerospace hardware
- Flight or test operational experience
- Demonstrated leadership in a customer-facing role
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $85,000 - $145,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
No outside recruiters please.
URSA'S COVID POLICY:
As a U.S. government contractor, Ursa Major is subject to President Biden’s September 9, 2021 Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors requiring federal contractors to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19. However, recently a federal judge in Georgia issued a nationwide preliminary injunction that prohibits the government from enforcing the federal contractor vaccine mandate. The order covers all contractors and subcontractors in the United States and its territories, and will be in place until further notice. Additionally, while Ursa Major is still subject to OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard given our 100+ employees, its implementation and enforcement is currently suspended pending future developments in the litigation.
Given these updates, we are suspending the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy until further notice. With this is mind, Ursa Major fully intends to comply immediately with changes to any COVID-19 mandates.