The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
The Director of Avionics is a key role that will manage and develop the team responsible for avionics development across all Ursa products. The team is responsible for engine instrumentation, harnessing, controllers (board layout, design, and enclosures), and embedded software. The team also maintains and operates the component-level HIL (Hardware in the Loop) testing facility and standards, as well as component-level ATP processes for both development and production. The team also assists other teams in areas of expertise related to electronic hardware or internally developed embedded software. As a Director, this role will be continuously engaged in strategic product development initiatives, technology development, capital expenditure planning, and extreme attention to individual mentorship, hiring, and growth of the avionics team as our products evolve. We are looking for a seasoned leader with 15+ years of experience.
Job Expectations - Team Leadership and Direction
- Manage all personnel on the team to allow focused technical work. When team size exceeds 8, start implementing decentralized team leads. This includes 1:1’s and weekly Check Ins.
- Provide a technology and product roadmap that translates to a team mission and direction on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Plan and execute hiring ahead of program needs. Maintain an up to date hiring model.
- Engage in technical mentorship and training with team members to broaden an enhance skillsets and capabilities within the group to create a world-class avionics team.
- Develop a capable embedded software team that works closely with the latest Ursa software quality control standards.
Job Expectations - Program Execution
- Maintain an accurate program schedule for each avionics development program. Communicate those schedules in the program and quarterly planning meetings.
- Be the go-to for up-to-date program status. Manage risk and communicate risk regularly with peers and leaders.
- When available, manage an accurate program budget to ensure the right decisions are being made.
- Ensure all designs meet or exceed UMT-1000 standards for design process consistency.
- Be the outward-facing contact for customer questions regarding our avionics and software quality, design, and risks.
- Ensure proper RE (Responsible Engineer) ownership for all avionics products are fully staffed.
- Engage in customer conversations as needed to ensure we are exceeding requirements.
Job Expectations - Technology
- Continue to develop in-house board/FPGA design capability for a unified avionics architecture across all products.
- Successfully develop a capable HIL infrastructure and deploy to both production and development engine programs simultaneously.
- Develop and maintain a proper software quality control plan and implement this across all products.
- Work with other product teams on related development efforts – test stand DAQ systems, solenoid / motor control systems, high-power density generators and motors as required.
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
No outside recruiters please.
URSA'S COVID POLICY:
As a U.S. government contractor, Ursa Major is subject to President Biden’s September 9, 2021 Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors requiring federal contractors to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19. However, recently a federal judge in Georgia issued a nationwide preliminary injunction that prohibits the government from enforcing the federal contractor vaccine mandate. The order covers all contractors and subcontractors in the United States and its territories, and will be in place until further notice. Additionally, while Ursa Major is still subject to OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard given our 100+ employees, its implementation and enforcement is currently suspended pending future developments in the litigation.
Given these updates, we are suspending the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy until further notice. With this is mind, Ursa Major fully intends to comply immediately with changes to any COVID-19 mandates.