The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
Ursa Major is at a stage where establishing a physical presence in the Washington, D.C. area is advantageous to the growth of the company. Ursa Major’s future success will rely on strong relationships with space- and defense-focused federal agencies and Congress, developing knowledge and influence on policy issues affecting the industry as well as establishing contracting opportunities.
As a self-starter with strong relationships and demonstrated success in key legislative and defense circles, the VP of Government Relations is responsible for owning Ursa Major’s narrative to the U.S. Government. The VP of Government Relations is tasked with ensuring that Ursa Major is well positioned to support the U.S. Government across space access and hypersonic missions. This role is responsible for driving success in a set of primary focus areas:
· Government Affairs: The VP will set the strategy and manage all Ursa Major third-party vendors / contractors, including, but not limited to external advisors, lobbyists, and strategic advisory firms. The VP will lead engagements on the Hill related to the budget process and relevant legislative activities. S/he will develop and advocate on space policy issues, and report on relevant policy considerations. The VP will oversee mapping, developing, and managing critical relationships with policy makers, defense officials, and other relevant stakeholders to national interests.
· Market Expansion: The VP will run a series of projects to grow Ursa Major’s ability to pursue business opportunities domestically and abroad. Activities include:
o Leading the regulatory work and M&A scouting for the acquisition or development of an Ursa Major facility clearance.
o Creating a clear path forward for Ursa Major to sell into the international market through the foreign military sales process.
o Supporting the development of strategic positioning materials to communicate Ursa Major’s value propositions within key national security circles.
· Government Proposal Shaping: The VP will identify and shape relevant proposal opportunities with the government customer and then provide support as needed to develop proposals. This effort will include creating communication channels with relevant government agencies to influence Request for Proposal language through briefings and responses to Requests for Information. The VP will team closely with a range of stakeholders at Ursa Major to ensure technology and business alignment in developing opportunities.
Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
- Grow and own the process to secure Program Element (PE) line items in the defense appropriations bill.
- Author appropriate white papers for PE adds.
- Communicate with correct DoD offices to ensure awareness of the add(s) and that the PE line is correct.
- Engage with staff members on both the Senate and House side to promote the proposed PE add.
- Confirm that add(s) are included in the legislation coming out of the House and/or Senate appropriations committees.
- Defend adds through the legislative process to the final signing of the bill.
Grow Ursa Major’s impact by expanding the range of projects and geographies that Ursa Major may pursue
- Hone short-list of potential acquisition and acqui-hire targets to facilitate a DC-centric R&D capability.
- Create partnerships with relevant FFRDCs and UARCs for potential engineering stopgaps and new hire scouting.
- Pursue a facility clearance for Ursa Major.
- Create and implement the strategy to drive international adoption of Ursa Major products through foreign military sales.
Position Ursa Major to win U.S. Government development contracts (SBIRs/STTRs/Other).
- Identify and pursue relevant R&D funding projects and programs associated with relevant DoD initiatives.
- Identify and shape an alternative contracting mechanism (e.g., OTA) and participate in a cross functional team in submitting a response.
- Develop prime agnostic strategy and partnership pathways with companies across the landscape of hypersonic technology development.
- Develop and implement a roadmap to participation in a program of record.
- 12+ years of experience working on legislative matters in the private sector, a Congressional office, or an Executive Agency with a focus on defense and/or space related matters
- Strong understanding of legislative process in general and of space- and defense-policy issues; experience with defense appropriations and/or defense authorization
- An established network of government, policy, and regulatory contacts within the US Space Force, US Air Force or other relevant DoD circles
- Demonstrated experience and success promoting high tech businesses to influential legislative bodies within the U.S. Government
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
No outside recruiters please.
URSA'S COVID POLICY:
As a U.S. government contractor, Ursa Major is subject to President Biden’s September 9, 2021 Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors requiring federal contractors to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19. However, recently a federal judge in Georgia issued a nationwide preliminary injunction that prohibits the government from enforcing the federal contractor vaccine mandate. The order covers all contractors and subcontractors in the United States and its territories, and will be in place until further notice. Additionally, while Ursa Major is still subject to OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard given our 100+ employees, its implementation and enforcement is currently suspended pending future developments in the litigation.
Given these updates, we are suspending the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy until further notice. With this is mind, Ursa Major fully intends to comply immediately with changes to any COVID-19 mandates.