Ursa Major was founded to address a critical shortfall in the U.S. industrial base and bring a new model to aerospace and defense systems: we design and manufacture the world’s leading propulsion systems for space, hypersonic applications, and missile systems.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team – a team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
The Propulsion Development Team is primarily responsible for the design, execution, and documentation of development and qualification campaigns for Ursa Major’s propulsion systems. This involves test design, data analysis, failure investigation, and risk mitigation for whole propulsion systems as well as development support for programs earlier in their life cycle. Success on this team requires an understanding of rocket propulsion fundamentals, mechanical and fluid systems, strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, organization, and effective communication across discipline groups.
- Apply engineering principles, industry standards, company standards, and customer requirements to develop solid rocket motor propulsion systems
- Design solid rocket motor propellant grain geometries, develop methodologies for ballistics analysis, and perform predictions of solid rocket motor designs
- Interact with internal and external customers
- Assist customers in defining system requirements and in the generation of specifications for products and subsystems
- Evaluate and implement key advancements related to solid rocket motor design, fabrication, and operation
- Design, execute, and document system-level development campaigns
- Design tests and perform data analysis
- Own system failure investigations
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other applicable discipline
- 2-4 years of professional rocket propulsion experience
- Knowledge of liquid and solid rocket motor fundamentals
- Programming competency in any language
- 1-2 years of leadership experience in any discipline
- 4-6 years of professional rocket propulsion experience (e.g., professional experience, university design team, personal project)
- Experience handling and testing energetic materials
- Experience with energetic material properties testing
- Experience with ablative material composition, design, and testing
- Programming competency in Python and/or MATLAB and FORTRAN
- Experience with CAD modeling (NX preferred)
- Experience with chemical kinetics solvers (CEA, CLWire, ProPEP)
- Experience with FEA/CFD software packages (ANSYS preferred)
- Hands-on hardware experience with fluid/mechanical systems, including design and safety review
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid parental and Adoptive Leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA)
- Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D
- Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport and Pet Insurance
- EAP Program
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $90,000 - $150,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
Classification: Full-time Exempt.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP, PERMANENT RESIDENCY, REFUGEE OR ASYLUM STATUS IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal-opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
No outside recruiters, please.