The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
You will be the manager of the machining group. You will lead a fast-paced, focused, and highly cohesive team of programmers and machinists. Responsibilities will include schedule, quality, and operational excellence to provide increasing value to Ursa Major’s engine programs. As a leader, you support your team and amplify their technical contributions, and you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty sweeping floors and contributing yourself to machining projects where needs dictate.
You will work closely with engineering, manufacturing, and engine leadership to accomplish these goals. You will report to the Advanced Manufacturing & Materials Team.
- Manage scheduling of machines, people, planning estimates, and projects for both development and production needs.
- Manage inbound requests of development machining support needs on top of the core part portfolio.
- Assess & balance company-wide priorities to maintain clear direction for the machining team to execute on.
- Oversee long-term project implementation & improvements such as new machining center selection, installation & development, standardization of common machining strategies, etc.
- Work with other leaders at the company to manage the strategic growth of machining at Ursa.
- Gather critical feedback from design, manufacturing, quality, and the machining team to identify & implement improvements in efficiency, quality, and cost.
- Ownership of shop operations including maintenance, consumable management, and tooling upkeep.
- Work alongside quality to monitor & resolve non-conformance root causes and continually improve production machining yield.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a fast-paced machining environment.
- Demonstrated experience leading technical groups through improvements in efficiency and performance.
- Must be a self-starter - able to interpret high-level organizational goals, plan and execute to those goals without low-level instruction.
- Must be dedicated to keeping Ursa Major Technologies at the bleeding edge of manufacturing through research into the latest improvements to manufacturing precision, efficiency, and eventually automation.
- Must be humble and able to lead a group with a variety of experience levels, from senior level to entry level.
- 7 years experience in an aerospace machining environment.
- 3+ years of demonstrated leadership experience.
- Excellent communication skills across with diverse functional groups.
- Experience with multi-axis & millturn machines and programming, either as an individual contributor or in a supervisory role.
- Knowledge of modern machining strategies, machine tools, tooling, and CAM programming workflows.
- Experience both development & production environments.
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D, and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport, and Pet Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $90,000 - $140,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The salary range for this role is intentionally wide as we are evaluating individuals based on their unique experience and abilities to fit our needs. Most importantly, we are excited to meet you, and see if you are a great fit for our team. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
No outside recruiters, please.